Reply to post: Re: The problem with a cloud-hosted Windows desktop...

Laugh all you want. There will be a year of the Linux desktop

John Sanders
Linux

Re: The problem with a cloud-hosted Windows desktop...

Windows doesn't have that vulnerability there thanks to Office being only able to run on Windows, as someone else pointed out you will take Office from the cold dead hands of the normies and only at that moment.

I have always been impressed by most people who depend on Word/Excel/Outlook, etc not being able to use anything but the most superficial functionality. Very few of these users can justify why or how they need specifically Office to do their work. Through my career I've known 2 or 3 people who knew how to use it and depended on Office. The rest just memorised where things are and click on one or three buttons.

I use LibreOffice since it forked from OpenOffice and I always get asked how to do stuff in Excel that I do in LO, I always have to figure it out for them, even a basic googling is out of the reach of most normies.

Most of the real requirement for Office used to come from 3rd party software who would use Office's DLLs to generate documents and reports and send emails via Outlook ActiveX/DCOM components. I wonder what will happen now that this software is going to be cloud based (because reasons).

I'm fed up with all this bullshit propaganda of "all revenue comes from the cloud" yes, that is not difficult if you move your player base from one product to the other, it is not that most people buy the cloud product, it is that the cloud product has been made deliberately cheaper and more convenient and publicised more because it is more convenient for the publisher. This is the same as adobe making CC a subscription, of course all their revenue now comes from the cloud edition of photoshop, they don't sell any other version.

https://blog.conradchavez.com/2016/01/06/can-you-buy-adobe-software-without-a-subscription/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon