Reply to post: Re: No. Stop it.

Laugh all you want. There will be a year of the Linux desktop

tiggity Silver badge

Re: No. Stop it.

@Snake said

"Good desktop application design is hard, a balancing of both skill and art. The F/OSS community needs concentrate more on solving desktop user problems in a skillful, "artistic" and user-friendly way - simple, pretty, easy to use, and attractive to the user who sits in front of that app screen for the first time "

Well, for me, The Office software, Photoshop and many other huge windows applications do not fit those criteria. They are a PITA to use as a first time user (& with Office does not improve much over time unless you use the software frequently & so get used to on-intuitive "areas" that some functionality is to be found). I speak as an occasional user of the Office suite at work (my home kit does not run the office suite as it would mean spending £ when I can do what I need with other software).

Work involves heavy use of Windows software, but, for non work use, there is no compelling reason for me to use Windows on my personal laptop (I do run it sometimes as laptop came with Windows, but its set up multiboot and so I more frequently run Linux).

.. However, as I live in the arse end of nowhere with dismal copper ADSL internet connectivity, OS in the cloud does not appeal with poor bandwidth - and I can happily use my laptop (on "local" files) anywhere I want to without needing an internet connection. A "Cloud OS" does not appeal with poor connectivity, nor does the idea of having to potentially hook up to wifi I'm not in control of when out and about with a "Cloud OS" as I like to keep MITM attack risks low.

.. Because although I'm sure the "Cloud OS" will be marketed with offline working will be fine with the occasional connectivity needed to "sync", in reality it will be a clusterf**k without near 24/7 connectivity.

So, I really don't see a "Cloud OS" being great for my personal home use ... and thats without even getting into areas such as my backups being local and quick and easy to backup and restore irrespective of connectivity (& if I want to I can back up stuff in the cloud without needing a "Cloud OS")

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon