Reply to post: Re: Cost of Living?

People are coming out of retirement due to cost-of-living crisis

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Cost of Living?

Well that ("glide path") is part of it, innit?

Your situation sounds grand, and I'm on a similar trajectory, thankfully. But it's contrary to what most corporations want -- they *want* us to scrape and scramble, and most importantly, to need the position they're offering, at whatever wage.

If we can take it or leave it then they haven't got the control over us they want. They can't dump whatever crap duty on us and expect us to merely be thankful we still have the job. They can't get away with laying off 10% of the department and demanding everyone else "pick up the slack".

Depending on what/where you read, there's a lot of corporations shrinking and even doing cutdowns and layoffs recently. I'm sure some of it is true, and some even warranted, e.g. due to some companies over-expanding and over-hiring the last few years. Poor management practices again, basically.

But with full tinfoil hat in place, I suspect some of the press and media around that topic is fed by those same corporations, who often still seem to have job openings btw, as a way to stoke a little fear in and reassert control over the potential workforce.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon