Reply to post: Re: From the Rust Code of Conduct

Linux 6.1: Rust to hit mainline kernel

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: From the Rust Code of Conduct

Yes, and that is what I will do, I will find something else to do with my time instead of associating with people who advocate and enforce censorship so much. I will gravitate towards languages that don't enforce such codes of conduct. And stay away from minority languages, which have a code of conduct, such as Rust which only make up a few percent of the code out there.

I just cannot believe what I'm reading here, it absolutely smacks of Orwell's 1984 and conformity / thought policing.

Yes the Rust language gets so much hate mail precisely because of these leftist politics. Because they (Graydon Hoare, and others) have intentionally injected politics into the language's community. They did this to a technical community, that should be free of such politics. Specifically the Code of Conduct has been implemented to appease radical/extremist feminists who have grossly exaggerated the "harassment" problem within the open source community. Yes there are some shouters out there such as Linus Torvalds, but again it's a manifestation of the modern day "safetyist" mindset where all danger is to be eliminated, without any regards to our rights... Look at the mass surveillance that's going on nowadays, and this is done supposedly to "protect us"....

These code of conducts and other authoritarian measures have no place in a free society and they should be removed or replace with something more liberal, where only repeated, serious problems will be dealt with formally. And trifles left to be dealt with by the individuals themselves, as adults are supposed to... Then on top of that the code of conduct can end up discriminating against true minorities, like those who are on the autism spectrum, or those with other neurological problems and can can be rude unintentionally. People who can come across as "weird" and end up making someone "uncomfortable", but they mean no harm and pose no danger to anyone. So they are promoting one class of "minority", typically easily offended feminists, above another minority class: those on the autism spectrum. And the tech community is full of those on the spectrum.

Thing is it that these codes of conduct actually infantalise the community, they treat them as children than have to be protected from someone's abrasive speech... That is not a good thing to see happening in society, and represents a wider general trend:

https://psyarxiv.com/5g7nc/

https://www.aei.org/op-eds/american-safetyism-makes-parenting-harder-and-scarier/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon