Reply to post: Still waiting here

Consolidation looms for UK broadband providers

The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

Still waiting here

My house I sold 6 months ago, wasn't due to get FTTP until at least 2026, it did have virgin but their service was atrocious and when I was on a 100Mb service, it was as low as 172Kb and the average was about 18Mb... (not a typo) due to their oversubscribing pipes and actively degrading the service of anyone who 'dared' to use a VPN. I ended up getting out of that contract early without penalty as well as having refunds.

Moved back in with family for a while, and they do have FTTP in their road... but not worth signing up for a new contract for 6 months, as we are literally moving again in 2 days... Movers packing the house tomorrow.

New house is still only FTTC but at least close enough to get close to the upper limit with a guaranteed 59Mb limit from the ISP... Openreach claim FTTP is coming in 2025 to that street.

Also... everything is moving to VOIP... no one is actually doing landlines at all anymore... and if you don;t have a mobile, or live anywhere with a decent signal... or have any kind of medical device that communicates over a landline. They simply won't offer you a service at all.

I'd love a gigabit connection... I'm wiring the new house with cat6 to all bedrooms and lounge at the same time as running new aerial cabling, and getting a new switch with 2.5Gb as my server and main rig have onboard 2.5... streaming from my mediaserver around the house is an issue if I have to use wifi from the server, to the access point and then out over wifi to devices... it just gets swamped streaming 4k media at far higher bitrates than anything any streaming service offers.... 10x better in most cases... hence the need for 2.5Gb

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon