Reply to post: Re: Mission creep

Girls Who Code books 'banned' in some US classrooms

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Mission creep

'Stick to your mission and don't let it be associated with the hot button causes du jour."

I have to agree. One of my buttons these days is the "people of color" tag on things. Of course saying or writing "colored people" would be massively racist but reordering the words makes it all good. Another think that steams me is spinning something "for the children" or "low income". I find some of the arguments that something is "disproportionately affecting" low income households and "people of color". Yeah, it sucks to be poor. Most of us know that. To allude that being poor and non-caucasian leads to stupidity is more racist than a really racist thing.

I think it's an excellent idea to get and keep girls interested in STEM. I think it's pointless to take it further and add a classification based on melanin concentrations. It's better to just leave it at girls and women and go from there. I'd hate to see an organization such as Sally Ride Science make any distinction between any of the girls in their programs to fulfill some sort of deep seated and misplaced guilt.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon