Reply to post: Re: Would I like someone with at best 12 years of RUST experience

In Rust We Trust: Microsoft Azure CTO shuns C and C++

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Would I like someone with at best 12 years of RUST experience

This is a cultural problem with C++ especially, though it also applies to other languages. (Even C has some notable newer features which can help prevent certain classes of errors, but how often do you see identifier-designators used in initialization, for example? That's been in the language for 23 years.)

I've seem some really well-written C++, from people like Stroustrop and Meyers (the Effective C++ books). And some of the C++ I see from professional developers is similarly good, even if I have quibbles about the readability of some of it. But the vast majority of C++ I've seen has been, not to mince words, crap. It's a mess of not-very-good C masquerading as C++ with a handful of C++ features used more or less at random.

A great many C++ developers simply don't seem to know the language well, and don't care about code quality or readability or efficiency.

Part of the problem is that C++ is a huge language. The C99 standard is already rather large at 567 pages, not counting the TCs and Rationale; C++11 is, what, an order of magnitude larger? To be a good C++ programmer I think you either need to specialize in it and put a lot of effort into a really rigorous study, or diligently confine yourself to a manageable subset that you take the time to learn thoroughly. And the former doesn't scale, while the latter doesn't help if you have to work on a team or maintain other people's code.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon