Reply to post: I try to avoid Chrome

Ad blockers struggle under Chrome's new rules

WolfFan Silver badge

I try to avoid Chrome

I have a copy inside a ZIP file on my main Mac and Windows machines. (I noticed that somehow copies not in ZIP files updated themselves, and wondered what else they were doing) I take Chrome out of the ZIP if, and only if, a site gives significant trouble with Firefox, Safari, and Brave. I use Chrome long enough to locate the Contacts line on the site (if present, some sites don’t have one) and to fire off a note, requesting that they support browsers other than Chrome, as I won’t be coming back unless they do. I then shut down Chrome, put it back into a ZIP, and drive on. To date more than 90% of Chrome-only sites have ignored me, so I don’t do business with them. I’m in charge of IT around here, and Chrome use requires special permission from me, so no-one at the company goes to those sites either. Some individuals and departments have complained; I say that Chrome represents a security problem, and that they can use it if they sign a form stating that they take responsibility for any problem that may result. Strangely enough, no-one’s signed. Imagine that.

I find it amazing that some companies apparently are incapable of building sites accessible to non-Chromium browsers. Did they learn nothing from the Great MSIE 6 Debacle? When our company builds a site, you better believe that we make sure that it works properly with Firefox, Safari… and Chrome, and Chromium in general, even Edge. (Site builders are among the few who have Chrome live on their machines, which are locked off from the rest of the network. It’s not paranoid when they are out to get you.) We also test for various screen sizes, down to smaller cell phones. We _want_ people to be able to access the site, on whatever system they have. We are not going to try to dictate to our customers what they must use in order to give us money. Doing that may work in the short term, but long term users will be annoyed and will go elsewhere as soon as they find a source more to their liking.

I use Firefox or Safari on my personal machines.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon