Reply to post: Re: Confusion

Bye bye BoJo: Liz Truss named new UK prime minister

Eclectic Man Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: Confusion

You mean like Jacob Rees-Mogg, the new Business secretary, who thinks that British workers need more 'graft' (despite having six children himself and being proud that he has never changed a nappy)?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62802807

From: https://www.theguardian.com/global/2022/sep/06/record-of-climate-denialism-indicates-how-rees-mogg-will-handle-energy-brief

"An investor in oil and coal mining through Somerset Capital Management, the fund management firm he co-founded and still benefits from financially, Rees-Mogg has many times voiced climate denialism – even to the extent of misrepresenting climate science. In 2014, he told Chat Politics that the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change had found efforts to stop climate change would only work in the very long term.

He claimed: “If you read the IPCC report on [the climate emergency] it said that if you were to take action now to try and stop man-made global warming, it would have no effect for hundreds or possibly a thousand years. I’m all in favour of long-term policymaking but I think that trying to forecast the climate for a thousand years, and what little steps you make now having the ability to change it, is unrealistic. And I think the cost of it is probably unaffordable.”

In fact, the IPCC found that efforts to stop burning fossil fuels now were essential, and failure to do so would have an impact lasting thousands of years."

So I expect that we can 'look forward' some 'independent thinking'* when it comes to promoting 'new technology' in British business. But of course he will be completely objective, despite the enormous conflict of interests he has...

God help us all.

* A euphemism for thought independent of relevant facts.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon