Reply to post: Re: But they already do...

Goodbye, humans: Call centers 'could save $80b' switching to AI

TurtleBeach

Re: But they already do...

All well and good, except when the back-end systems are so pathetic that such identifying information isn't linked. Comcast voice bot asks for Zip code at the start of a call, then replies that no company with that zip code could be found. My company had service for 7 years, at a location in a zip code that has existed since the start of zip codes, and initially Comcast was the ONLY provider, yet Comcast couldn't find my company.

With service drop-outs and increasing prices, I switched to Verizon Fios. Fios is great; Verizon systems are arguably even worse that Comcast. 6 and counting calls to get service fees correct. Go to account to view bill - not visible - click the link, page refreshes. A representative (through chat) had to e-mail it). Receive a separate e-mail to register to receive promotional gift card. Go to web site to register. Click register link. Page refreshes to initial page. And round and round. To their credit, eventually Verizon staff are usually helpful (voice or real person in chat), but otherwise Verizon systems are a disaster. Hard to see how the company manages to get anything done (other than its billing is so Byzantine that annual profits are probably greatly enhanced by incorrect charges).

The BoD of every company implementing customer-facing technology should require CEO and CFO to use the systems under the watchful eye of an independent auditor before foisting the systems onto the customer base.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon