Reply to post: Re: The best headmounted display

Lenovo launches face-mounted monitor

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: The best headmounted display

One this is probably magic leap style vaporware, but fingers crossed we can finally get 1080p per eye at any kind of refresh rate. I expect this will, like so many other products turn out to be 480i upscaled to fake 1080i in 3 bit color, 11fps, and with 1990 era projector/vr goggle interpixel dead space.

happy to be wrong on those points. If you get a decent display working the other part is easy with a couple pinhole cameras in the frames. You just overlay a monochome version of the camera feed onto the input signal. HTC was doing this a while ago. You get a ghost view of your surroundings so you are less likely to kick your dog or TV by accident.

Hard to tell by the pictures, but it's also possible they used an LCD shutter in the outward facing surface of the glasses. That would let you black the lenses out electronically, or make them clear if you drank too many cappuccinos.

This does not look like the version of this idea I have been waiting for, but it may get within striking distance for someone else to. I fear apples device is going to be more functional and less elegant and will disappoint those that look at this and think the two devices do the same thing. It's pretty clear they won't. That is the Magic Leap lesson, the product has to do something first and look cool second, not the other way round.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon