Reply to post: Re: A plea for AsciiDoc i.s.o. Markdown

PanWriter: Cross-platform writing tool runs on anything and outputs to anything

Liam Proven (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: A plea for AsciiDoc i.s.o. Markdown

Well, once again, actually: no.

The Reg, like virtually any website, has a CMS. It also has editors.

I don't do the tables. You may not the 2 recent articles with tables, comparing resource usage of the official and the unofficial Ubuntu remixes.

I made the tables with this:

https://www.tablesgenerator.com/markdown_tables

Dead easy, quick, free. I pasted the result into Panwriter. It did its magic behind the scenes to make that into HTML (I presume; I don't know, I never see it; it's never in a file, just in the clipboard.)

The wonderful human editors did the formatting. That's not my job, and they wouldn't be happy with me if I did it.

I don't do images either. The CMS does that for us.

So, no, I don't have, or need, or use, *any* extra external tools with Markdown or Panwriter, and I have used that table generator a grand total of twice, and TBH, I could have just done it by hand, but I couldn't be bothered.

I didn't write the article because this was one of a thousand tools that are all just as good. I wrote it because I know of ONE (1) tool that sounds closely comparable, and it costs money.

No, no text editor is good for this. The best I found was Atom, for its live preview, but it's bigger and clunkier and has 1000 more features I don't need, and needs extensive manual tweaking.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon