Reply to post: Murica

California to phase out internal combustion vehicles by 2035

Anonymous Coward
Pint

Murica

I learned to drive in a muscle car. It could accelerate from a stoplight like nobody's business and would easily top 100 mph as long as the road was straight. I much preferred my next car, a European I4 which could actually turn. My last couple of cars added a turbocharger to the I4 and would out accelerate any traditional muscle car. I don't buy a car for the sound it makes but for what it can do.

In any case, American driving is not defined by its V8s but by its vastness. To drive from the south to the north of California is about the distance from Paris to Vienna; the longest interstate highway would cover the distance from Paris to Cairo and then some. Growing up, my family would regularly drive about 2400 miles (each way) to visit relatives. I appreciate that California has taken this into account by allowing PHEVs as well as EVs so trips can be planned around overnight stays instead of charging stations. Besides, if you want a V8, they are available now from many European automakers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon