Reply to post: Re: Don't know what they're talking about

Apple to compel workers to spend '3 days a week' in the office

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Don't know what they're talking about

"If there are no monitors, or no keyboard, or no mouse I might just plug in and stay. I can say I did what I could with what was there and wonder around catching up with people I haven't seen for couple of years."

It's nice to put faces with people you "work" with remotely. I'd see it as a social gathering rather than a day much work is going to be done. So many offices use a "hotelling" approach with long tables that you plonk your laptop down on to work that you won't get a workspace that fits your needs, just one that doesn't fit anybody's needs.

Moist was correct about needing a certain set up to do certain types of work. When the aerospace company I was at could afford to buy a new lot of computers, what I needed and what the structures engineer needed were very different. I was building the avionics so it was schematics and circuit boards and JP was simulating aerodynamics and structural loading so a much more powerful computer was in order. In a pinch, he could use my computer, but it would have been painful. I could use the office managers computer, but she only got one monitor and I'm very used to using two or more. I'd also have to get a cart to wheel over my reference material and charts. Some things are easier to find in the real world rather than looking them up online. Search engines always assume you are looking to buy something.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon