Reply to post: MAUI?

Attention Microsoft-oriented Linux devs: .NET 6 is on Ubuntu 22.04

bazza Silver badge

MAUI?

Although the article says that this is for server applications only (WinForms and WPF haven't made it over to Linux), I am intrigued by MAUI (see here. That Microsoft webpage suggests that MAUI on Linux is "Supported by the community", though I've not yet dug deep enough to determine how extensive that support is.

I've played with MAUI a bit on Windows - it's WPF-like, updated for the modern world of touch / swipe and mobile. Data binding is supported. MAUI looks like work in progress, but none the less one can do a desktop or mobile app in it, and MS support that on literally everything but Linux and Tizen.

It's just possible that MAUI will mature into something genuinely multiplatform, which really would be quite something. Certainly, this appears to be the focus of MS's cross-platform GUI efforts, so I don't think we're going to see WPF on Linux anytime soon.

That could be intersting, to say the least. A properly sorted, strongly supported, modern, functioning GUI framework that allows genuine source code re-use across platforms, and possibly also binary re-use and also provides an acceptably easy-on-the-eye result could challenge some established norms. Why have a Web App, if you can just as easily have an all-platforms native app? Ok, so it's not as simple as that, but it's just possible that the "all-platforms" property of a web-app goes away. Given how awful Web Apps can generally be in terms of runtime overhead, clunkiness, inability to interact with other local stuff, etc, there may be some areas where MAUI is a better candidate technology.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon