Reply to post: Re: My girlfriend did it

Keep your cables tidy. You never know when someone might need some wine

Martin an gof Silver badge
FAIL

Re: My girlfriend did it

As I think I've recounted here before, I had exactly that happen at an ILR station in Cardiff back in the late 1990s. DJ in question was doing his last live show before moving on to pastures new and a well-wisher had sent him a bottle of cider.

Of course, it wasn't he who called it in at any point in his mid-evening (7 - 10pm?) show, nope, it was the poor sap who followed him who had to page me and listen to me moaning.

One thing which really annoyed me was that both jocks flat out refused to move to the spare studio. Granted this was in the days when they had boxes of CDs to shift, but the spare was literally five steps away and ok, yes, the "offer, accept" handover system was a bit awkward to do on your own, but not impossible.

Instead, both carried on with half a working desk, making do with the guest microphone, one CD player and the playout system if I remember correctly. Maybe the phone TBU too.

On the positive side, the desk surface was just some sealed switches, sealed pots and Penny & Giles conductive plastic faders; all the electronics were in a pod in a rack. The desk carried on without a glitch (apart from the faders covered in sticky cider), the drain holes in the bottom ensured that jock went away looking as if he'd had "an accident" and I was able to revive the faders by running them under a tap and replacing a couple of wipers that may have been close to needing replacement anyway.

But I could have done it at 8pm when the accident happened, rather than at 11pm.

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon