Reply to post:

Tesla Full Self-Driving 'fails' to notice child-sized objects in testing

M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

"I drive a car with adaptive cruise control, from VW; in the manual there's about 20 warnings along the lines of what the system won't do. It won't stop for totally stationary vehicles. It doesn't see pedestrians. It doesn't adapt to the weather conditions. It might brake sharply if you get cut off. It might accelerate unexpectedly if you leave the road (e.g. motorway exit). It might accelerate unexpectedly if it loses the radar signature from the car in front, and you're on a sharp bend. Despite these limitations, I would not buy a car without this function."

That makes one of you. I won't buy a car WITH this stuff ever again. I have it all turned off on my current car. Hit construction or bad roads on a windy day and the car is CONSTANTLY warning you that you aren't driving correctly. Narrowed lane for construction? Thread the needle perfectly with no more than half an inch variance or the car starts hooting at you. Passing/being passed and the other guy can't stay in his lane? Car screams at you for staying between the large vehicle and the concrete barrier instead of the paint lines. The last thing I need when navigating a rough, tight road is the car throwing a fit or trying to take control at the worst time.

I'm just glad enough that I'm as old as I am, that I can build myself a car that will last me till I die. And, I feel sorry for my kids and grandkids who will be stuck with self-wrecking cars.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon