Reply to post: Re: Musk doesn't really do marketing

Tesla Full Self-Driving 'fails' to notice child-sized objects in testing

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Musk doesn't really do marketing

"both in the car and in its production, especially the Giga press."

Somebody was very kind in flying their drone over a Tesla factory to show all of the Giga-pressed failures stacked up outside. I don't think it's ready for prime time. The concept is interesting, but there are so many points of failure in the process that I'd not want to implement it. It makes production planning and line cadence hard to do.

The Tesla cars seem to be gadgetfests. Everything that moves has a motor or solenoid meaning it's going to wear out and/or fail at some point. Many people have already hit their frustration ceiling with the exterior door handles not working. Iced up windows mean they might not lower properly when the doors are opened. Another horrible thing just to have a frameless window. Many "features" are there because "everybody demands them" which is bollocks. Nobody I know makes a glass roof a make or break buying decision. I'd prefer not to have a glass or sun roof. It's hot were I live and I like the shade and lack of leaks in the wet.

I have a background in aerospace and K.I.S.S. is a big thing. We were always looking to see if what we designed was as simple as it could be. Simple works and keeps on working.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon