Reply to post: Re: The plan for the combustion fleet isn't to ban them from the roads

Pull jet fuel from thin air? We can do that, say scientists

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: The plan for the combustion fleet isn't to ban them from the roads

"That's *because* of cars - the cars are the problem, not the solution."

If it were only that simple. I'd love to take the local bus to the train stations some miles away when I want to visit my mom on a weekend since parking at the train station overnight would cost several thousand dollars in car repairs if the car didn't just go missing. The problem is that the bus isn't on a schedule that meshes with the train schedule. There is also no bus in the evening that would bring me home. We don't have public transportation that is thought of as a whole system. Every mode is considered, routed and scheduled in it's own little world.

Anybody with kids knows that having a car is a requirement in this day and age. They need dropping off and picking up from all sorts of programs. I don't get the whole idea of a school run as I walked to school or rode a bike when I was young. When I got my license, I drove myself and my best friend (or he drove) as the school was a bit further away and the gross tonnage of gear we had to schlep back and forth became burdensome. I don't think any parent wants to be trying to find a way to get their child to hospital in the middle of the night when the busses have stopped running. While that might never be necessary, it is a big fear.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon