Reply to post: Re: NOPE

Scientists use dead spider as gripper for robot arm, label it a 'Necrobot'

BOFH in Training

Re: NOPE

Yeah, although this may look cool, I don't think it actually works out for something which requires longer term usage of such manipulators.

How long before the spider body is too degraded?

How long before the spider's body can't handle the fluid pressure changes (especially since the body will be degrading while in use)?

How difficult is it to change to another spider in the middle of using the manipulator?

Even if you have X number of spare spiders ready to be used, I assume different spider bodies have different capabilities, similar to how some humans can do 50 pull ups, and some will struggle to do even 1. So how are you going to make sure whatever replacement spiders you get are able to be used as required?

And of cos, you going to set up breeding farms for spiders and figure out best way to kill them humanely(or is it spiderally?) while still preserving the body sufficiently enough to be used in this manner?

I think it may be simpler to just build artificial manipulators one time, and be able to use them for a very long time afterwards.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon