Reply to post: Re: The court also claimed some material promoted extremism and/or terrorism

Russia fines Google $374 million for letting the truth about Ukraine be told

Peter2 Silver badge

Re: The court also claimed some material promoted extremism and/or terrorism

. . .

Ofcom launched a separate investigation to determine whether ANO TV Novosti is fit and proper to retain its licence to broadcast and took into account several factors including that RT is is funded by the Russian state and new laws in Russia which criminalize any independent journalism that departs from the Russian state’s own news narrative, in particular in relation to the invasion of Ukraine.

We consider that given these constraints it appears impossible for RT to comply with the due impartiality rules of our Broadcasting Code in the circumstances,” Ofcom stated.

So broadcasters have requirements; you fail to comply with them and you lose the license.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and think that you might think that your going to a great degree of effort in reading "alternative news" to try and come to truth being supressed in our media by reading the Russian point of view.

"The Russian strategy, both at home and abroad, is to say there is no such thing as truth," he says.

"I mean, you know, 'The Americans are bad, we're bad, and everyone's bad, so what's the big deal about us being a bit corrupt? You know our democracy's a sham, their democracy's a sham.'

"It's a sort of cynicism that actually resonates very powerfully in the West nowadays with this lack of self-confidence after the Iraq War, after the financial crash - and that's what the Russians are hoping for, just to take that cynicism and then use that in a military environment."

You might find this interesting:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050674y

It might also be worth reviewing the concepts of "the grey fallacy" and "false equivalence".

Or you might be a Russian troll on the FSB payroll and deliberately wasting my time, but even if so that might get read by somebody who's accidentally being a useful idiot, so it's hardly wasted time. ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon