Reply to post: Re: Gosh, really ?

Russia fines Google $374 million for letting the truth about Ukraine be told

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Gosh, really ?

Ok, I read it just out of curiosity.

A 120 page report in 90 mins or less? Impressive..

My emphasis. Your own link just cluster bombed, if not nuked your argument.

Nope. I expected it to be full of cherries..

Most, albeit not all, violations have been committed in the territories under the effective control of the Russian Federation

Well, duh. That's where the fighting is. Mostly. But-

As of 22 June 2022, the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) recorded 10,465 civilian casualties in Ukraine

Which is far fewer than say, the 650,000 or so civilians killed during the Iraq war(s). Or the 176,000 or so in Afghanistan. So in comparison, the civilian casualty figures in Ukraine are pretty low. As for the disappeared, that's also not uniquely Russian-

According to the Center, a person in Ukraine can be detained for up to 30 days without a court order, and antiterrorism legislation under martial law allows authorities to withhold information about their clients' remand. These people vanish, and there is no access to them for 30 days.

So over 1,000 Ukrainians have been 'disappeared' by their own government, who suspect them of being collaborators. And being charged with treason, could be executed.

But there's stuff that hopefully everyone can agree on..

As the international armed conflict in Ukraine continues, the level of death, destruction, and suffering that continues to be inflicted on civilians is terrible and unacceptable.

And it was pretty much entirely avoidable. Or inevitable given Ukraine's plans to recapture it's lost territory prior to Russia's intervention.

But any debate has become extremely polarised. Everything is Russia's fault. Including Germany's decision stop NordStream 2. What I kind hope, probably optimistically is that it helps clarify or modify international law wrt armed conflict.. Which has gotten even weirder with our actions and inactions here. We no longer have a 'free press'. We engage in economic warfare with complete disregard for the consequences. The OSCE report (rightly) points out the humanitarian crisis, yet neglects to mention that we've instituted collective punishment against the civilians in both Russia and Ukraine. If sanctions prevent Russia providing humanitarian aid, is that really Russia's fault, or ours?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon