Reply to post: Re: Thanks for the money but your stuffed.

Hive to pull the plug on smart home gadgets by 2025

scasey

Re: Thanks for the money but your stuffed.

I agree with your comments on IoT, solely in relation to the Cloud. However, I don't think smart building tech is a flash in the pan. I also don't think that the timescale you mention is reasonable. Several of my clients are still using smart tech ten or more years after I installed it.

I use, and install, lots of IoT devices. But, I have an immutable rule that I don't install anything that relies on ongoing Cloud services provided by third parties. So, every installation has a local server (usually a NUC. Sometimes a Raspberry Pi), that works locally whether or not there is an Internet connection. Some can even be controlled by SMS.

One of the systems that several of my clients use, and love, is the Logitech Media Server (Squeezeboxes, essentially). Whilst originally there was a Cloud option, there has always been a locally installable server (originally SlimServer). Logitech killed LMS years ago. There was a sharp intake of breath amongst their users, but they open-sourced the server code, and it is still going strong. Hopefully Hive do similar.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon