Reply to post: Re: Net zero in home automation

Hive to pull the plug on smart home gadgets by 2025

Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: Net zero in home automation

Re :"Went into my local electrical retailer named after a pop Indian culinary delight as I happened to be passing.

Gave the sales bloke my requirements, told him there obviously couldn't be any cloud element and I didn't really need recording. If he'd got nothing that fit the bill please would he tell me now and save me some valuable time."

My old boss, when he was a student, bought a PC from PC World. It was a good PC, and worked for years. Then, one day, the HDD failed. As the machine was out of warranty, they refused to touch it. So, he bought it in to work and I had a look. I confirmed the hard drive had physically failed, and opened up the machine. To find a wierd motherboard with onboard SCSI, and no IDE ports. I say "weird" because this was a machine intended for consumer use, and not a server, or workstation (which tended to be the areas that used SCSI).

He bought the new HDD, I fitted it and and installed Windows, but my boss was not happy. SCSI HDDs cost considerably more that IDE ones..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon