Reply to post: "For a fat guy, you don't sweat TOO much...", and other examples of 'damned by faint praise'

x86 Raspberry Pi Desktop is a great way to revive an old PC

nautica Silver badge
Boffin

"For a fat guy, you don't sweat TOO much...", and other examples of 'damned by faint praise'

Perhaps a knowledge of what other more-serious Linux distributions are available would be an asset, when writing an article such as this.

The closely-coupled antiX and MX-Linux have been available for years, and work extremely well on older laptops and netbooks, as do other Linux distributions.

From the article:

"...We found installation very slow, but to be fair, we were trying it on two very old PCs...

"For a low-end PC for a not-very-technical user, Rasperry Pi Desktop is a great little OS. It won't magically make an old PC quick again, but it works pretty well. Programs launch slowly from old rotating hard disks, but once they stagger into memory, they run quite usably. It can handle light web browsing, for instance, but for bashing out emails or basic productivity duties, it should cope fine..."

From

"MX Linux MX-18 & 10-year-old EeePC netbook - Fantastic"

Updated: April 1, 2019

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/eeepc-mx-linux.html

"...What really matters is how the netbook behaves. And it behaves oh so well. It's fast and responsive. LibreOffice, which wouldn't even start previously, opens within about 10 seconds. Firefox takes about 20 seconds to launch, but then it runs fine. I tried 720p video, and the playback is quite all right....”

“...MX Linux MX-18.1 Continuum has restored life to my netbook. It runs beautifully fast, it's elegant, loaded with real, practical goodies. The tremendous part is really the speed. This mini-laptop was weak even when I bought it, but to be able to keep using it in a nice fashion a decade later is truly an achievement...."

There are other serious alternatives.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon