Reply to post: Try Banyan email for a doozy

Getting that syncing feeling after an Exchange restore

Hazmoid
Windows

Try Banyan email for a doozy

Having worked for a Government department that used Banyan Vines ( because anything that is good enough for the US department of Defense must be secure enough for our piddly little Australian govvy department) I sympathise with you all. We had to get new versions of the software flown in (back in the days when the Internet was a glint in telecommunications company's eyes, and it was quicker to transport CDs than to try and download them) to get our server hardware upgraded at a remote site. They used Banyan Mail (character based but pretty cool in its day) and had a windows gui that hooked into it (running on Windows 3.11 Sharkmail?)

So come stupid o'clock on Monday Morning and we are trying to install the server and restore the data, and finish about 730 am on Monday morning, only to have some scientist haul me over the coals because they were unable to access their latest batch of spam emails. At that stage I had been running on coffee and chocolate for ~ 20 hours and was in no mood to be polite. So I told her that the mail would be fixed when it was fixed and she would know about it when it finished. I then went to try and get some sleep at the hotel room I had not seen that weekend, only to have the owner start mowing the lawn outside !

This is how accidents on the road happen, trying to drive when you have been awake for more than 24 hours and need to drive for another 3 hours to get home. At some point I think I pulled the ute I was driving into a truck bay and slept in the back for about an hour. Fortunately the parental home was a good hour closer so I went there and slept for 3 hours before driving home.

Got to the office the next day and was immediately requested to report to the IT manager. She asked why she was having to deal with a call from some senior scientist about why her staff were so rude. I then went to town on her with the whole sorry story, and resolved to start looking for a new job that day.

Before I left they had gone the whole Exchange route, with Banyan running on Windows NT for directory services. Some contractors made out like bandits on that contract!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon