Reply to post:

Sick of Windows but can't afford a Mac? Consult our cynic's guide to desktop Linux

JohnHMorris

Glad to see a nice review of OpenSUSE in the context of the other distros. Have been successfully using in a mixed Linux / Windows environment for almost 10 years. Because I have a couple of instances in the cloud, the low memory XFCE desktop is helpful and works great. The whole thing just works and is nice.

BTRFS is a worry - and not for lack of trying to understand space issues. The answer seems to be make sure that you always have lots and lots of space on root and you'll be fine.

In the meantime snaps and YAST make managing the things so much easier. And the fact that OpenSUSE is deployed in the context of a seemingly successful commercial distro gives one confidence.

* This post is offered in the memory of my friend Anton Aylward, long time stalwart of the OpenSUSE support forum, who passed away suddenly last fall. Anton introduced me to OpenSUSE. No doubt in heaven he would have a critique of what I have written above. Godspeed Anton.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon