Reply to post: Re: Scheme

Everyone back to the office! Why? Because the decision has been made

Stoneshop

Re: Scheme

Our group of about a dozen people handle second-line support for a variety of applications, although those are all related to trains moving from A to B at time T, and not ending up in C and/or at B at time T plus or minus $ANNOYINGLY_LARGE_DELTA.

Not every one in the group is equally knowledgeable about all the applications and the platforms they run on More than once I've heard a colleague take a call on a matter he was not very familiar with. Overhearing that, signalling a short interruption and bringing him up to speed or transferring the call was standard procedure at the office in such cases.

In contrast, somewhere the past week there was an incident caused by a disk reporting imminent failure[0]. The guy who handled it (both he and I WedFH that day) duly answered all the scripted questions the 'engineer' at HPE Bangalore regurgitated, taking over an hour to collect several MB of irrelevant data from half a dozen sources where I would have sent them the one logfile that really mattered with any repeated request for the other data flatly declined, and would have instructed my colleague to do the same had I known about the incident as it came in.

[0] nah. It's a RAID1 set with only a local swapfile on it (there's a much larger swapfile on the SAN), and the system is slated for decommissioning.with no active applications running on this cluster member any more. So urgency is roughly nil.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon