Reply to post:

NOBODY PRINT! Selfless hero saves typing pool from carbon catastrophe

SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Ah, brings back memories.

A few jobs back, I did the "if it's vaguely technical, they ask me" gig in a small manufacturing and sales company. They used various letterheads and coloured papers - and the same "nobody use [name of printer]" call out before pulling the tray and adding some fo the paper they were going to use. Not just the one or two sheets, but a few sheets - and no, they didn't take out what they didn't use. So over time, the tray filled up with a stack of random papers.

When I was sorting out printing from the Unix hosted ERP system, I took the opportunity to utilise the printers' capabilities - those useless features like using multiple trays, or god forbid, manual feed. So all those wanting to print on (for example) letterhead needed to do was select the manual feed printer* right next to the tray feed one* in the list, then stroll over and put the letterhead on the manual feed.

Yup, you've guessed it, I never managed to persuade the majority to use it.

* The system didn't have the concept of specifying options in the print dialog - so I had to create multiple virtual printers, so for example there might be "accounts", "accounts-m" (manual feed), "accounts-l" (landscape, handy for doing jobs designed for the old 13" fanfold), "accounts-lm".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon