Reply to post:

Misguided call for a 7-Zip boycott brings attention to FOSS archiving tools

Kenji Mouri

Hi, NanaZip author here.

Actually, I am a faithful 7-Zip user since 2011 when I got the 7-Zip 9.20 installer binary, until I created NanaZip in late 2021. (But I am still a 7-Zip user in strictly.) It's a professional tool for many people. I often use it to pre-analyze the structure of executable file.

I can prove the source code of 7-Zip mainline is easy to build and 100% clean with code-level modularize.

When I read the source code of 7-Zip, I feel I am talking with an old school software developer, with the similar feeling with my senior.

They both intend for smaller binaries. So, I can understand why the author doesn't like "/GS", "/DYNAMICBASE" and the compiler flags which can make binary expansion. Also, they both care about old Windows compatibility. So, I can understand why the author don't do some modernization work.

Based on these, I created NanaZip because I want to integrate some modern things which not acceptable by 7-Zip author. (As same as my senior, he doesn't like App Model and Windows Runtime. But I want to use App Model and Windows Runtime XAML to modernize the user experience.)

Kenji Mouri

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon