Reply to post: Re: Maybe the FTC should concentrate on

Walmart accused of turning blind eye to transfer fraud totaling millions of dollars

DS999 Silver badge

Re: Maybe the FTC should concentrate on

Yep, I don't see why the US can't implement that if Europe and the UK seems to have no issues with it.

I also don't understand why they randomly put a 'hold' on checks over a certain amount for a random number of days. When I've deposited "large" checks (which seems to be anything over $10K, but more often when over $25K) sometimes they will tell me they need to put a hold on it for two days. Sometimes for five days. Sometimes there's no hold at all. Even when I get checks FROM THE SAME ACCOUNT whether there is a hold or not or its length varies.

It is frustrating as hell because you can't plan for shit, other than assuming a worst case of a week long hold. Though I don't even know that I've hit the worst case hold I guess.

I get that checks are inherently riskier than transfers, since I've already set up the transfers (didn't mention that to the UK folks, I've already provided the routing & account number of the bank I'm transferring to in the past, and verified it by telling them the amount of some tiny random transfers they made so they can verify I own the other account, and made dozens of successful transfers between them in the past few years, but despite that it STILL takes two days!) With a check you could get hold of one and forge the signature, or make a fake check if you have the account & routing number (which you can get off a real check for a smaller amount, or that was written to someone else)

So I can almost understand it for checks, but how is that today for instance when I deposited a check from a source I've never got a check before for $31K and the funds were available instantly (because for some reason I won the "check hold" lottery today I guess) but there is always a two day delay for transfers between two accounts I own and have proven in the past I own and made many previous transfers? That makes zero sense. Why isn't there a "bank transfer lottery" I can occasionally win too?

Fraud/security is just an excuse for banks not wanting to spent money to update antiquated systems and wanting to steal the interest from two days in limbo.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon