Reply to post: Tough to say without knowing what your needs and driving style are

Toyota, Subaru recall EVs because tires might literally fall off

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Tough to say without knowing what your needs and driving style are

I have been in a Kia Niro PHEV for the last few years. It's a type of car that Subaru has been refusing to sell in the US, a small light(ish) hatchback with good gas mileage and short range battery. 500 miles on a tank of gas, 25 on battery. It's a good road trip car, but if it's more than two people you will all need to pack like if you are used to a larger ride legacy wagon or someting Foz sized or larger. Bummer for the earlier Niros is that they use once "standard" 240v level 2 charge plugs that aren't supported on any of the thousands of fast DC charge points they are building. Mines a hybrid, so I can just put gas in it on longer trips, but that extra 25 miles on battery can make a bigger dent on the overall MPG then you might think.

I'd rather have the Subaru version of the same car if they made one with AWD and slightly better ground clearance, and trade off in spending a few more bucks and maybe eat a small MPG hit for the AWD. Also the Subies have traditionally been built tougher, the build quality of the Niro is fine but it can't take the same kind of beating.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon