Reply to post: Both sides are full of you know what..

Big Tech silent on data privacy in post-Roe America

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Both sides are full of you know what..

OK. If you are not American you will be unlikely to have the slightest clue about Roe v Wade. Under RvW none of the European countries reasonable abortion laws would be legal. The states so far in question, MS, AZ, UT, etc are far more liberal in rules for legal abortion that say Germany just to pick one example. Anything more restrictive is likely to be struck down. One way or another. And rightly so. All the SCOTUS has done had handed the legal power back to the states. Who will fight over it in their own way.

In the last few decades I have met very few American who had the slightest clue about the US actual legal situation let alone how it works in other countries. RvW made any sane political negotiations of this very contentious subject impossible. It just gave huge political ammunition for the "Right To Life" loons. They will now work at the statehouse level and they will lose, as they deserve to, a battle that should have been fought and won decades ago.

I have always been Pro Choice . I voted twice in two referenda to make abortion safe and legal. I have zero patience for the BS arguments from the "Right To Life" people. Dont agree with abortion, then dont have one. Otherwise its none of your business. End of discussion. You will not force your religious beliefs on others.

But everything I have heard from the rabid Pro Choice politicians and groups recently is total BS also. Mostly outright lies. In the authors home state will there not be the slightest change in the law. None. The same story in all the most populous states. There are about 10 states in play. Maybe. And all that will happen in the short term is the situation will be just the way it was in a bunch of place in Europe for decades, Cannot get a safe abortion locally, then you will have to travel a bit. The probability of a successful local anti-abortion law prosecution surviving a referral to an appeal court. Nil.

So this article is just part of the current hysteria by supporters of a party who are looking at catastrophic losses come November. Its got damn all to do with the welfare of women who find themselves in a situation where they need an abortion. Its just sleazeball politics for short term gain

If the Pro Choice groups and politicians are serious about protecting to right of a women to a safe abortion then they will pick carefully a few test cases to take to the Supreme Court that will establish the right to a medically justifiable abortion. Using the same criteria as most European countries. And pick the most onerous anti-abortion law and have it struck down on the grounds of separation of church and state. If a law represents the religious beliefs of a group of people and very few without those religious beliefs then it will be struck down. Just as those laws have been in the past.

If Pro Choice groups and politicians dont do this and just continue with just more politically motivated hysterical lies they are just as big a group of worthless tossers as the Right To Life nutcases.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon