Reply to post: Re: From "3arn0wl", above...

Ubuntu Touch OTA-23 is coming: Do you have one of the older model phones that can test it?

3arn0wl

Re: From "3arn0wl", above...

When Pine64 first announced that they were planning to make a smartphone, they wooed the UBPorts community quite heavily : large parts of the UBPorts community strongly desired a 'proper' Linux phone... as promised by Pine64.

And so... the expectation seemed to be that UT would be matched with the PinePhone - UT was already quite mature as an OS (albeit built atop an Android foundation). But - and actually quite rightly - Pine64 wanted all Linux OSs to be there to contribute to developing a Linux phone. Some while later, they announced that their preferred OS was KDE iirc. :/

Move along several years, and it seems that other Linux distributions are making better headway with Linux on the phone than Lomiri (UT for Linux) : hence the suggestion I made about UBPorts putting their efforts elsewhere. As you say, Ubuntu Touch is available on a fairly long list of devices, and UBPorts are very honest and up front about how well UT works on all of them.

I realise that the UBPorts foundation has finite resources, but I would like to see some love for Lomiri. Ideally I'd like to see an image for RISC-V. Well... a person can dream, can't he!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon