Reply to post: "My experience is the only experience"

Graphical desktop system X Window just turned 38

yay101

"My experience is the only experience"

I joined up just to comment on how wild it is not a single person here has anything but positive things to say about X server.

My first Linux experience was the first version of Ubuntu off a disk my uncle brought over when I was a kid. Ever since then I have never had a single good thing to say about X.

Its been an absolute garbage fire the entire time. Configuration options, tools, multi monitor, hot swapping displays, virtual displays, drivers, screen tearing, text rendering, stability, screen recording, full screen applications, rendering and display buffer issues, video playback I could go on.

I understand it has some cool features, but it is death by 1000 paper cuts for using the desktop like a regular person, and no one is working on fixing them.

But I can install fedora 36 on any computer I have and it just works, with gnome 42 and pipewire and Wayland. Fast too. 5 screens hotplugged for fun? No problem. Smooth video? Animations? All good.

No one is working on fixing X's many many problems and I can't wait until its not even on my system for compatibility.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon