Reply to post:

First steps into the world of thought leadership: What could go wrong?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I find that doing 2 things helps with making LinkedIn bearable.

1) I only accept connection requests if we have some actual connection. If you're a former classmate, co-worker, customer, client, vendor, etc, we're good. If you're a salesperson I've never dealt with, nope. If you're an "influencer" or a "thought leader", no. Financial advisers, realtors, auto salespeople, nope. Being "in my network" should mean something more than just clicking a blue button.

2) I have a low tolerance for non business related drivel. Posts or shares that are political are noise. Posts to "like and reshare this so little Jimmy can get 10,000 postcards before he dies of cancer" are noise. "Inspirational" posts (either religious or the variety that adorn posters loved by midlevel HR drones) are noise*. If your S/N level drops low enough, I block posts from you.

My feed is pretty quiet. I don't know that it's particularly useful, but it does allow me to find out when people change jobs, since I'm not on facebook.

* posts with dogs should be categorized as noise, but if the pup is obviously a good boi I'll allow it. Before you ask about cats, remember: as far as cats are concerned, you aren't family, you're staff, so cat related posts are clearly business related.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon