Reply to post: Re: So how was all that Spyglass Code in there then?..

How did you mourn Internet Explorer's passing?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: So how was all that Spyglass Code in there then?..

You are either very drunk or very stupid. What you wrote is complete and total garbage.

Heard of ViolaWWW? From Cal Berkeley? In '92. Guess not. Mosaic without the embedded images but some cool stuff added. Ran on X Windows.

I not only remember SGML from the 1980's but remember why it failed. One of the poster boys for Standards fiascos. As for GML, lots of other proprietary tagged text formats out there starting starting in the mid 1960's. CDC, ICL and DEC to name but three I knew about at the time had their own kicking around in the 1970's. No big deal back then.

If you were actually around at the time you would know that Ted Nelson sort of begat (belatedly) the Hypertext fad of the late 1980's / early 1990's, which Tim Berners-Lee produce the first simple practical non proprietary application for. By junking all the fat and keeping it simple.

The evolution of the web in its current form has zero to do with the ramble tosh you wrote. Nada. Zilch. Its in the same category as the guy who claimed to have invented email because of some trivial software he wrote about 5 years after I sent my first computer mail message. And that program was a based on a system that had been kicking around for more than a decade.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon