Reply to post: Re: Walaynd is not relevant going forward

Graphical desktop system X Window just turned 38

bombastic bob Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Walaynd is not relevant going forward

I like the way you think on this.

We don't really use the network features of X enough yet. But we will

I came up with a 'clever' way of creating panel icon shortcuts for Firefox runnin as a specific user with a button click that leverages 'DISPLAY' to run it as a user like, say, 'twitter', which would have no privileges, and its own context (FF may delete all history on exit, or simply allow script and tracking in THAT context). Then you are just aware of the tracking etc. in THAT context if you look at stuff, follow links, etc.. But OTHER contexts could have script blockers, cookie blockers, anti-tracking, whatever. So I end up having one for 'slack' that is work related, one for 'twitter', one for 'script' (let script run, but erases all history on exit), and all of those users have no privs whatsoever. Then you cleverly set up ssh with a cert-based login [no password prompt] and invoke the firefox program with appropriate info and DISPLAY exported, and you're there with a single button click.

(I use the 'script' one to view youtube vids or use one-time web sites that need script to work. carefully of course. Stupid gummint ones are often 'scripty' too. works for those as well)

Also fun thing, different instances have different windows and the title bar says 'as slack' or whatever in it.

All of this is possible BECAUSE of X11's client/server network aware protocol.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon