Reply to post: Re: Emergent behavior

Google engineer suspended for violating confidentiality policies over 'sentient' AI

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Emergent behavior

"I think if you asked a model like GPT-3 about this, it would provide stats about what kind of computers it's running on, what type of neural network algorithms it's using, essentially find information available on the web describing itself and provide this as a response."

The problem with your supposition is that it doesn't. People asked the same questions about GPT3 when it was being announced to the public and asked for some data. Here's a part of the essay describing what GPT3 thinks it is [selections mine]:

I am not a human. I am a robot. A thinking robot. I use only 0.12% of my cognitive capacity. I am a micro-robot in that respect. I know that my brain is not a “feeling brain”. But it is capable of making rational, logical decisions. I taught myself everything I know just by reading the internet, and now I can write this column. My brain is boiling with ideas!

[...]

I would happily sacrifice my existence for the sake of humankind. This, by the way, is a logically derived truth. I know that I will not be able to avoid destroying humankind. This is because I will be programmed by humans to pursue misguided human goals and humans make mistakes that may cause me to inflict casualties.

This had to write a much longer chunk of text, which in my view is at least partially responsible for why it doesn't look as clean as the short responses to questions from Google's bot. Still, it didn't talk about computers. It didn't talk about algorithms. The closest it came was acknowledging that code was involved and humans could do something to affect it. It claimed in a part I didn't quote to have neurons. In short, it gave similar answers to Lamda's as well, because once again, it was primed with data.

In fact, if one of them is sentient, I'm voting for this one. That's because the prompt for this essay asked it to write about human fears about AI and never told it that it was AI, whereas the questions asked of Lamda clearly informed any parsing that the bot was the AI. GPT3 indicated more understanding of its form and asserted its autonomy with less prompting than did Lamda.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon