Reply to post: Re: Options are always good

Open source 'Office' options keep Microsoft running faster than ever

Antron Argaiv Silver badge
Linux

Re: Options are always good

O...M...G

I had the "pleasure" of using Word on a shared document on my last project. Let's just say that the advertised features are...somewhat oversold.

Document was hundreds of pages long. Multiple users from multiple organisations in multiple countries

on a Sharepoint server. Lots of typefaces, change tracking and numbered sections. Major edits. Tight schedule, which meant *everybody* was trying to get their changes in, around the clock (due to the multiple companies and multiple countries). Molasses. You would have needed a supercomputer and fiber cables to make any progress. Just glacial response time.

Now, I realise that this was asking a lot from the software and the infrastructure. But the bottom line is that simultaneous shared editing of any document of significant size is a non-starter. And my gut says that any number of simultaneous users over...let's say...3-5, is asking for trouble, no matter how small the document is.

As for Libre Office, it appears to be coming along quite nicely. It has definitely improved since I tried it a couple of years ago. Specifically, the "typesetting" features: spacing, page layout and character font cutomisation seem better and more consistent. I haven't done exhaustive testing, but it seems more polished and less prone to random "disruptions" to the text.

Which is good, as I transition into retirement without Windows.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon