Reply to post: Re: In other words...

EU lawmakers vote to ban sales of combustion engine cars from 2035

SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: In other words...

NEW EVs yes, 10, 15, 20 year old EVs won't still be doing "hundreds" of miles on a charge. It is people like you failing to take into account that batteries degrade that are spreading the false narratives.

As it happens, I was having a similar sort of conversation not long ago with some friends. One pointed out, quite correctly, that my problem isn't that I can't afford an EV - it's that I can't afford a car as new as a decent used EV is going to be. But by the time they are old enough and cheap enough for me to be able to afford, then the batteries sure as hell aren't going hold much charge.

A colleague at work was telling me the other day that he went to look at a used EV at a dealer. He took along his OBD interface and software to interrogate the system - which showed the battery was already down to below 50% capacity. As it happens, a replacement battery was near enough exactly the same price as the dealer was asking for the car - and he told the dealer the car was effectively worthless. It would seem the dealer (of a well known "premium German make) was upset at this suggestion and "asked him to leave" the premises.

But this brings up an issue. We already have problems with people buying cars which turn out to be lemons. I think we're going to see people buying used EVs and being more than a bit disappointed when they find out that the car they thought might handle their needs can hardly get between charge points.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon