Reply to post:

Citrix research: Bosses and workers don't see eye to eye over hybrid work

usbac Silver badge

I jumped ship for the same exact reasons. My former boss could work from home, but didn't want to for whatever reason, so he figured that if he "had" to be at the office, everyone else should be too. So, even though I could work from home most of the time, with an occasional day at the office, they dragged everyone kicking and screaming back to the office full time. Add to this that my commute was 45 miles each way. So, I started looking for something else right away.

At my new job, the company is 100% work from home. Everyone works from all over the country, so there is really no reasonable way for any of us to "come in to the office".

At my previous job, I was there for 17 years. I was a one guy shop, and I wrote more than half of the software that the company ran on. I wrote the shipping software for the entire warehouse, all of the interface code between the ERP system and the e-commerce website, and customer support software for the call center.

When I told them that I'm leaving, there was full-scale panic. They asked "who's going to support all of this software when you are not here?" I politely told them that it is their problem now. Suddenly they were willing to talk about me working from home part time.

The new job was a much better job, and included about a 50% pay raise, so I wasn't even willing to talk about staying on. Oh well. They could have not been jerks about people working from home.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon