Reply to post: Re: even more safer to operate?

Small nuclear reactors produce '35x more waste' than big plants

SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: even more safer to operate?

In your world it didn't even happen

Now then, you are projecting your ignorance onto others. I know full well that they happened, but I also know enough to understand why they happened, and why they do not represent current safety standards. You missed Chernobyl BTW - an example of what happens when you build something that's inherently unsafe due to the design, and then let the operators turn off what safety systems there are and perform unauthorised experiments.

Windscale, specifically the piles that used to be a big feature on the landscape (they started taking them down a few years ago), was never a power plant. The piles were air-cooled, graphite moderated reactors which had the sole function of creating plutonium for the weapons program.

Fukushima, a 1960s design (things have moved on a bit since) which had all its support services wiped out by a tsunami - yet "not a lot" happened. Yes there were some not radioactive at all hydrogen explosions, but given what happened to the plant, it did pretty well. Modern plants have different designs in that respect. For example, the Westinghouse AP1000 design includes "hit the big red button and walk away" passive cooling that will keep the reactor cool for a couple of days, long enough to get in with a tanker (or just a big hose) and top the header tank up. And SMRs are generally designed to be passively cooled for DHR (Decay Heat Removal) if it ever came to it.

And TMI. Well yes, a 1960s design with many flaws - and you may note that as a result of the accident, regulations were tightened up. The control & instrumentation system was apparently a usability disaster zone, of the sort that wouldn't get past initial reviews these days even for a non-nuclear system. Note that a key factor was that there was no indication of the actual position of a valve (only an indication of it's commanded position) - something I've known in other situations and which nearly sunk an oil exploration rig in the North Sea many years ago.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon