Reply to post: Re: Desktop Linux in Workplaces

Sick of Windows but can't afford a Mac? Consult our cynic's guide to desktop Linux

Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

Re: Desktop Linux in Workplaces

I use Linux as my primary workstation, I can manage most of our estate as it is predominantly in AWS and we use Meraki Networking as a Service. I use Powershell installed on my Linux workstation for a lot of things.

The things I cannot do are Active Directory, Exchange Online in Powershell as they do not support Powershell Core. That is not a Linux restriction it is a MS restriction, As the company DBA there are some things you just need SQL Server Management Studio for, and that only runs on Windows. So I use AWS Workspace running Windows to do my required Windows stuff.

As far as day-to-day apps. Teams runs on Linux, I use the Outlook WPA version (works fine), and Libre Office is sufficient. Are there some Excel things I can't do in Libre Calc? yes, then I use Excel in my Workspaces.

Why Linux if there are these caveats? Because if I need to get into my systems to fix something during off hours I can power up my laptop and be ready to work in under 30 seconds, not the minutes (the many, many minutes) that it takes to start up a Windows desktop. Then fire up the Remmina client and I'm in my servers and fixing stuff!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon