Reply to post: Fedora: Not as bad as people think!

Sick of Windows but can't afford a Mac? Consult our cynic's guide to desktop Linux

Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

Fedora: Not as bad as people think!

Frankly, Fedora is an excellent Distro even for the novice. Yes, it updates ALOT! And yes, some applications will lag behind the next rolling release. But Fedora is FAR from unstable! I've been using Fedora as a desktop since 25 and I've never had any major issues.

Like I said, some software will lag behind, in my situation it was always VirtualBox. I used to use VirtualBox a lot (I don't any longer). So at one point I got tired of not being able to update, I also was disappointed that AWS doesn't distribute a Linux version of their WorkSpaces client for anything but Ubuntu (I have since found a way to convert and install it on Fedora), So I switched to Ubuntu, it was an unmitigated disaster!

If you have very recent hardware you will find the LTS release of Ubuntu difficult! My very new work HP laptop with its Thunderbolt dock was extremely problematic! My brand new Bluetooth headset just did not work (note: I don't blame Ubuntu for that, pulseaudio is a steaming pile of dung!).

So I switched back top Fedora which uses PipeWire for audio and has support for pretty much all new hardware. Is it perfect? No, there is no perfect Linux distro and there won't ever be until someone decides to make one that you have to pay for and that's not going to happen because you can't charge people for Linux!

Oh BTW, it's Fedora with the Cinnamon Desktop! Why? Because I want a Bleepity bleepin' Start menu on my Bleepin' desktop computer! It's not a bleepin' tablet!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon