Reply to post: Article's Fedora coverage is simply unfair

Sick of Windows but can't afford a Mac? Consult our cynic's guide to desktop Linux

RolandM

Article's Fedora coverage is simply unfair

The section about Fedora is just not matching today's reality. May be that's important to add: I am living in year 2022.

First of all, using Fedora you make a deal that you are getting a distro making a mostly working compromise between providing bleeding edge content and stability. The Fedora releases in recent years I experienced as stable and just working. My choice is XFCE desktop due to a heavy allergy against Gnome/Unify etc.

Furthermore, Fedora releases come out twice a year, and each release is supported about a year. Thus, release update is mandatory once a year rather than twice.

Updating a release to a new level worked for me very well since about a decade. I did not scratch install my PC just for upgrading Fedora since years.

What is really annoying is the lack of integration in Linux desktop which shows up in such things as drag&drop or clipboard not working in many cases between different programs. Saying that that's a Linux issue and not specific to Fedora. It's simply the disadvantage against Windows and MacOS where you have "One Desktop, One User Community and One Market Fuehrer" (german: Fuehrer = english: leader).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon