Reply to post: Re: Never mind 1-2-3

Original killer PC spreadsheet Lotus 1-2-3 now runs on Linux natively

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Never mind 1-2-3

Too bad you guys have to speak in past tense about your so called venerable printers...

HP Laserjet 4000 & 4050...the latter is probably the pinnacle of laser printing. I bought them both in late 1998 when the 4050 was brand new and the 4000 was on sale.

So venerable, I still run one and use it daily (a 4050, unfortunately my 4000 had to go many years ago because I moved into a flat and didn't have space, I like ot think it is still printing out documents somewhere, as there is no reason it can't be).

You can still buy toner cartridges and parts (hah! as if you need them!) for them 24ish years after their initial releases and I've found STL files for various parts so I could 3D print replacements if I need them.

The 4050 is built like a tank and has been through 10+ physical relocations in it's time with zero packaging.

I have only once had to take it apart to clean the mirrors etc because for about 3 years I ran it in a warehouse where there were filthy gas powered forklift trucks.

Even the original Jet Direct still works just fine. Although these days I keep it isolated in it's own special VLAN on it's own special 8 port switch to keep it safe and away from Digital Internet Bastards.

At this point the 4050 has done millions of prints, comprising of countless warehousing labels, mailshots, flyers, shipping docs etc...you cannot and will never beat the 4050.

Under Linux, it "just works"...I never have to install a third party driver for it, Linux recognises it straight away like an old friend.

My sons currently use it to print their homework on and my wife uses it to print off various things...this printer will still be in service long after I'm dead.

HP...for 3 glorious years you built the worlds greatest mono laser printer...bring it back. It still has a place in 2022...I know you can, because there are enough parts out there right now to assemble a complete unit from just spares...so you're still making the parts!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon