Reply to post: Good news then

Mozilla opens testing for Manifest v3 extensions in Firefox

DS999 Silver badge

Good news then

So long as you don't use Chrome or Edge, you will continue to be able to have the full functionality of those extensions.

Whether you consider Firefox, Safari or Brave to "functionally rendering web pages" and "correctly/fully rendering web pages as intended" depends on whether you are browsing sites with lazy web devs who figure "I'll test it on Chrome and if it works then it is done" like too many did back in the IE6 days.

About once or twice a month I'll run across a page that doesn't seem to work right in Firefox, and be forced to fire up Chrome. I don't seem to have that issue with Safari on my iPhone, probably only because the large installed base of iPhones (especially in western countries which are where almost all the sites I browse are based) won't let pages be broken in Safari for long.

I dread the day if Apple is forced to allow the Chrome app to use its own rendering engine - lazy web devs may start ignoring Safari support and put in a "best viewed in Chrome" banner on their sites...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon