Reply to post: Re: Some serious questions.

Will this be one of the world's first RISC-V laptops?

Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Some serious questions.

In case you didn't notice people left x86 years ago. There is life after Intel, it's been proven in the market - why is this suddenly *wild*? It seems like you're here to cheer on Intel and nothing they can do is wrong more than anything else.

Every CPU will have to support remote access? You're going to have to come up with a source for that.

The point is here - today, people are bothered about ME (your contention was they weren't), some laptop manufacturers can offer to disable it, and some organisations do disable it (you apparently didn't know this) and Intel for some reason are extremely reluctant to listen to what the customer wants and have done the bare minimum in the past 15 years.

Happily there is a new CPU architecture that doesn't have this "feature" here and now, and in the future if it ever does have this feature it will probably be an option due to its open nature. Maybe Intel will start listening to whay the customer wants now.

Everything about rewriting firmware, exploits which require physical access, jtags, and whatnot is tangential to the conversation. Very impressive, but ultimately not the least bit important. Let's stick to the point - Intel makes it difficult to disable or remove the ME that they've foisted upon everyone and RISC-V doesn't have an ME and this is a selling point for this CPU.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon