Reply to post: Re: And People Still Fall For This?

Infusion of $3.5bn not enough to revive Terra's 'stablecoin'

DS999 Silver badge

Re: And People Still Fall For This?

What's old is new again. People believe it because they'll produce a graph of bitcoin value from inception to today, with a dashed line showing it going to a million bucks in a couple years. Suckers will think they can easily support paying out 20% interest from that but spare them from the volatility of actually holding bitcoin.

When I was a kid my dad gave me this nice diver's watch good to 660 feet. He got it when it put $10,000 in a bank in the Bahamas that paid a 10% interest rate (which was only a few percent higher than US banks were paying back then) but it went under and he lost that money. Fortunately he could easily afford to lose that, but he liked to tell me I was wearing a "$10,000 watch".

I used to wear that all the time, even in the shower or when swimming, because it was a diver's watch so obviously waterproof. Until one day when I saw water inside the crystal - turns out it was regular steel plated with a thin layer of silver, and a few years of wearing it caused my wrist to wear through that plating on the back. I didn't notice it starting to rust in the seam. Kind of fitting considering where it came from.

Only watch I ever wore, so at least I got that out of my system then instead of wasting money on a Rolex later in life lol!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon